Throwing, burping, and hiccupping are the most common behaviors of babies. You know what? often, baby hiccups even in their mother’s wombs.
Hiccupping is one kind of reflex action of the stomach; it does happen due to irritation of it. In medical terms, the hiccup is known as “GERD or gastroesophageal reflux.” Check also these helpful resources.
According to doctors, premature babies hiccups a lot than matures. As most advantage reason for this condition is the development of abdominal structure, and premature babies breed after birth to reach their actual born age.
However, they hiccup more than normal babies, for the few months of their birth. Hypothesis affirms that fewer premature baby a lot of spit after their first birthday, and this occur due hiccup.
Causes for hiccups in premature babies:
Undoubtedly, premature babies are a junior version of normal babies. This is why the fundamental causes of their reflux action “hiccup” will remain the same as;
- Swallowing to much air
- Change in the temperature of the stomach
The mouth is the first way through feed passes and then crosses the esophagus, to go to the stomach. The stomach is the last destination of feed, while the esophagus is the pipe that links the stomach to the mouth. When the stomach gets full of feed, then it pushes feed up to the mouth through the esophagus.
This type of disturbance of stomach can creates hiccups normally.
Some babies got hiccups a lot in their premature age, due to heredity, while many have this condition due to overfeeding. As they grow, the hiccups reduce normally but, remember if your premature baby hiccups a lot than his/her toleration, then your doctor has to be serious anyhow.
Preventions of hiccupping for premature babies:
It is very sure that we cannot avoid hiccups totally in our premature babies, but still, there are some effective ideas that can prevent hiccups for a very while.
- Swallowing air is the main cause of hiccups for both mature and premature babies. Therefore a baby can swallow air when he/she carries a lot and feeds. For this critical condition, we must suggest you feed your baby when he/she is calm.
- Premature is not much stronger than normal babies, so it would be better to take a break while feeding. In this break, sit your baby on to hands and rub your hand on his back. This rubbing will make him insist on a burp, and burping is the only one that reduces hiccups.
- If you are giving some top feed to your baby, make sure your baby’s bottle is full of milk “formula.” Otherwise, the air will come again and could be caused for hiccups.
- Changing feeding position should be reliable for babies; observe if your baby is hiccupping during feeding, then change his/her position comfortably. Surely he will stop hiccupping with this trick.